If you are considering opening up a physical, occupational or speech therapy practice, regardless of the setting, one of the most important components to grow and scale your practice is an EMR software.
In the past, many clinics have relied on paper or manual records, but in this day and age of technology, studies have shown electronic medical record (EMR) documentation softwares are more beneficial to both the clinic, and the patient.
Here are the top 6 advantages to using an EMR software in your practice:
- Personalized Patient Care: First and foremost, one of the biggest advantages of a EMR system is the ability to provide personalized patient care. With EMR software, therapists and other disciplines, within the practice, have complete access to patient’s records to be able to quickly review the patient’s medical history and any other pertinent medical information which will allow the therapist to develop a more comprehensive and well-rounded plan of care.
- Documentation: With an EMR software, therapists can keep all documentation and notes, in one single file, for easy access during the patient’s next session. This not only helps to streamline the documentation process, but also allows for improved patient care and coordination. Having electronic documentation is particularly important if one therapist is sick or going on vacation. Why? It allows a different clinician, within the practice, to continue providing appropriate and goal-oriented treatment to that clinician’s patients, even if there is little to no notice about the therapist’s absence.
- Insurance Billing Compliance: One of the most difficult aspects of running your own therapy business, especially if you are accepting insurances, is the ability to stay compliant when it comes to billing.
When you have an EMR system, such as HelloNote, the process of submitting accurate insurance claims can be completed with the click of a button. HelloNote also has a process built into the billing system which will notify you if any components or codes are missing, based on the patient’s insurance and how the provider is billing. HelloNote is able to add modifiers ensuring the denial and rejection rate is low.
- Patient Portal: Previously when patients wanted access to their records or treatment notes, they had to go into the clinic and pick up copies of whatever information they were requesting.
With a documentation and practice management system, such as HelloNote, patients can now access their portal from anywhere on their computer or cellphone. This not only provides easier medical record access, but it also gives patients the ability to play a more active role in their care and treatment plan, which sets them up for a greater chance of success.
- Easy Accessibility: Accessing patient’s records and other pertinent information has never been easier. Regardless of where you are, as long as you have internet access or can set up a hotspot with your cell phone, you will be able to access your EMR software.
For instance, if you are leaving for vacation and will not have internet access, but you recall that you forgot to finish a patient’s treatment note, all you have to do is open your laptop and login to your EMR and you can finish it at the airport! With a PT EMR software, you don’t have to worry about not being able to access your patient’s records because everything is stored within the EMR software itself.
- Going Green! EMR software allows you to upload all patient information, including: intake forms, scanned documents, care plans, and home exercise program handouts, in a secure cloud network. This means you no longer need to print or store endless patient documents, allowing your office to take that step towards going green! Also, by not having a need for document storage, you save on other expenses, such as: paper, folders, ink, space requirements, and staff time required to file them. Another bonus is that if you want to access a specific document all you have to do is go into your EMR and click download.
Having a reliable EMR system is crucial in providing improved patient care and having greater financial success in your practice. Physical, occupational and speech therapy EMR software, such as HelloNote, provides permanent records for all of your patients’ information so that you never have to worry about losing or not being able to find a patient’s record again. Whether you are a new clinic owner or if you have yet to switch over from paper records, then this is your sign to find an EMR that works best for your clinic!